The joint Scientific and Technical Documentation - Information - Communication department at Geosciences-Rennes manages the largest library specialized in Earth Sciences in Western France. This library is an essential complement that is associated with the Common Documentation Department at the University of Rennes 1 (SCD UR1).
It includes: 17,000 volumes, 900 periodicals (including 200 live collections), 5,000 geological maps, copies of reprints of articles published by Geosciences members; 3,800 articles on the Armorican Massif. The library is distributed over 2,000 linear meters
The department is in charge of managing the documentary resources found in the
Geosciences Rennes Library. This function covers the following activities:
- Administration of the document information system (Alexandrie software) (catalog: http://doc.osur.univ-rennes1.fr)
- The WinIBW retrospective cataloging software in the SUDOC catalog and Koha indexing in the SCD catalog of Rennes 1
- Meeting requests for internal or external documents made by the laboratory (students, teachers, researchers, amateurs, etc..)
- Management of internal publications by members of the laboratory (national management in the HAL department within the CCSD)
- Part of CAREN since 2000, and then OSUR, the department’s staff actively take part in coordinating the Observatory's documentary network
- Contributing, at the regional level, to the Hermine database (Champs Libres, Rennes) and the GIP Bretagne-Environnement database
- Collaboration with library researchers from the Doc’Pl@nets network for the INSU-CNRS, at the national level.
The department is in charge of managing the Mémoires de Géosciences (Geosciences Memoirs) collection
(publication of theses and thematic papers): as the body responsible for printed products, it sets the guidelines for the editorial policy (content and kinds of collections). It establishes the editorial program and ensures its implementation. It defines and coordinates the promotion and dissemination policies in the form of sales, exchanges, online content and open access, etc.
Person in charge: Catherine Bertin
The department is in charge of the laboratory’s communications. In this capacity, it is in charge of the laboratory’s website: this involves coordinating all operations for the implementation of the website (overall design, content, audience) in line with the laboratory’s communications plan and the general editorial policy; this activity consists of managing a network with the persons in charge of the various topics addressed on the web page.
The following websites are created and moderated by the department:
Started in 2014, the Oh My Little Data blog (ISSN: 2551-1289) discusses open data, its implementation and its questions. This blog is a collaboration between Mona Toutlouyan, a legal documentalist and Isabelle Dubigeon, a member of the info-doc-com department
The department carries out training activities for OSUR and the University of Rennes 1: offering classes to provide training to Masters 2 students on the topics of “Initiation to Scientific and Technical Information” and the management-writing of bibliographic references.
Person in charge: Isabelle Dubigeon
In addition, the department welcomes and guides students from OSUR’s Master’s program, and from the CAPES-Agrégation SVT (Life and Earth Sciences) program.